Students and Music Related Clubs and Programs in the Pandemic

The pandemic brought a number of changes to the music programs at Punahou.  As a consequence of these new changes, many students feel as if they have missed out on their opportunity to join groups such as the Punahou Jazz Band, which has been suspended until further notice.

The Punahou Jazz Band was formerly headed by Alec Briguglio, a band instructor who passed away in 2020, and was an official Punahou band that met outside of the regular school day.  According to Mr. Aga, a Punahou band director, the Jazz Band was put on hiatus due to the pandemic.

Mr. Aga commented, “We are looking at ways to bring the Jazz Band back. We are hopeful we will be able to bring this band back. There will definitely be changes when the Jazz Band returns. PPE and distancing will definitely be different. Since the Jazz Band has also included singers, there will be other logistical concerns to consider.”

Payton Lane ‘23, a member of the Wind Ensemble, commented, “I feel a bit bad for the people that were in the jazz band.  It would be nice if the jazz band was able to return.”

The tragedy that befell the Jazz Band is but one example of an opportunity that some feel they have missed out on. Another band program that has faced similar challenges with having to reschedule or stop events completely is the marching band. In 2020, the marching band program planned to play in the New York Saint Patrick’s day parade, however, this was not possible due to Covid.

The marching band had practiced a countless number of times at a multitude of football games and were planning on playing a medley of Queen songs at the parade.  Their practice included playing, showmanship, as well as positioning, and movement. However, to the “utter

Disappointment,” as one student put it, of the band members, their goal was cut short.

Seth Duchemin ‘23, a longtime band and marching band member, commented, “We were robbed of what would have been a great, memorable experience.”

Another junior commented, “It must’ve really sucked for the seniors, it was their final year at what was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Despite the discouraging year, all hope is not lost for members of the band programs.  If Covid cases in Hawaii were to remain relatively low, then concerts could come back. 

Mr. Aga stated, “There will be a concert that we will be working towards both in the Winter and in the Spring. We are still in the preliminary planning stages of how the concert will be presented.”