This year, there were fewer arrests and injuries from eager shoppers fighting over a discounted flat-screen TV. Instead, a number of popular retail outlets shifted away from opening doors right at 5:00 A.M. in favor of a less chaotic and more socially distanced approach. According to Hawaii News Now, Walmart spread out its standard one-day Black Friday deals over three weekends in November in an effort to reduce crowds within its stores. Other large retailers, such as Target and Macy’s, adopted a similar strategy.
With the COVID-19 Pandemic at an all time high, many people opted to celebrate Black Friday online.
“I’ve been shopping online since the beginning of the pandemic, so this will be a piece of cake.” says Amy Kaku ‘22.
Shansley Glenn ‘22 stated, “ Though the pandemic changed my perspective on money and saving, I will still be shopping online like there’s no tomorrow.”
For Audrey Chan ‘22, “On Black Friday I am going to be taking part in an online market called Malama Hawaii Market and have a huge sale.” She is the creator of Kainani Jewelry, which sells handmade earrings and necklaces.
Through Instagram, a poll was taken to find out how other students were planning to shop. 84% of the ninety people voted they would shop online, while the other 16% voted they would be going to stores.
Shopping online is also much easier, effective, and safe during these turbulent times. In addition, you are able to see what stores have in stock online rather than waiting at a store and not finding what you want. Instead of waiting in those long lines or camping outside for five hours, it is easier to wake up early and walk to your computer. We hope you all enjoyed online shopping!